It was in 1807 that the history of Portel-des-Corbières plaster began. A farmer, Jacques Foulquier, has been authorized to extract gypsum. And 60 years later, there were no less than three farms in the town and around 30 workers. For nearly 200 years, tons of gypsum have been extracted in the 35 kilometers of galleries that make up the mine. Unfortunately, the quarry closed in 1992 for economic reasons.
But the village winegrowers wanted to continue the adventure of the miners and they transformed these old galleries of exceptional dimensions into an aging cellar for wine and a discovery site. Terra Vinea opened its doors to the public in August 1994.